The church was originally started in 1976 in Luton by Charalampia (Chambou) Sakka whose zeal and courage to start a Greek Orthodox community has been achieved with very hard work. The church was purchased with funds from donations and situated in Luton town until 2009.
Structural problems in the building made the community move to the new site in East Hyde, which was an abandoned, non-functioning Anglican church. This church was designed by Benjamin Ferrey in a Neo-Norman style and built between 1840 and 1841. It has two large Norman piers flanking the entrance, with open staircases with Norman colonettes turning left and right, culminating on the left in the single asymmetrically placed turret. It is a Grade II Listed Building. It was declared closed for public worship by the Diocese of St Albans in 2008. It has fine stained glasses depicting various biblical scenes.
The church building has undergone major repairs, such as the roof, which was very costly and has made the church fall into an ongoing big debt. However, the church committee has managed to create a beautiful church with a crafted Icon-Screen adoring the front and new icons installed. The three chandeliers kindly donated by a shop in Cyprus have been installed which brighten and liven the church. In 2016 we managed to built an adjacent hall where refreshments are offered after services and other church functions take place.
Our future plans are to build other facilities urgently needed. Our aim is to ensure the church will be the legacy to the generations of Christian Orthodox in Luton and the District but also for all pilgrims and visitors who like to pray and ask for St. Charalambos' help